Come join us Saturday, September 23, at the Breeding Ranch in Chelsea, SD, for the 2017 Pickens on the Prairie Barbecue Showdown.
In 2016 Jordan Breeding started Pickens on the Prairie Craft Show. His first show was widely successful and has opted to make it annual show, adding events of interest. One event being added for 2017 is a BBQ Showdown to be hosted by the Hub City Pit Kings. If you sell homemade crafts and would like to inquire about renting space, please visit: www.facebook.com/events/312271662468170/
Although details of the bbq competition are still being fine-tuned, the general format has been set. Registration is now open to anyone with a grill. Below are the rules, which are subject to change up to 30 days before the competition date.
1. At 9:30am all competitors will line-up in front of commemorative coolers (you get to keep them!) for a brief cooks meeting. Inside the coolers will be two surprise meats. Meats will be cuts from pork, chicken or beef. Grills can be fired-up prior to start time. Late entries may not receive a commemorative cooler.
2. Once the contestants receive the meats, cook teams have 5 hours to cook those meats and turn both them in by 2:35pm in separate containers. NO GARNISHES allowed in the turn-in boxes. Garnishes will receive a 1-point deduction. Minimum number of pieces to be turned in will be posted at a later date. (Note: if we receive a large number of participants, the turn-in time may change to 30 minutes between meats.)
3. There could be another surprise..
4. Entry fee is $100. 75% of entry fee is paid back in cash to winners of three categories (2 meats and 1 overall). 25% of entry fee pays for expenses. Nobody makes any profit. If sponsors can be found, the percent paid back will rise. We are aiming for 100% payback!
5. Power may not be available. Don't let this deter you. If you do not have a generator to bring, let us know and we'll figure out how to get you power. Bring cords. There will be a water station.
6. All meats must be prepared on a grill. Any kind of grill can be used. All meats received must be cooked. If contestant is limited on grill space, please see the contest manager for an exemption.
7. The meat is provided, but the cook teams must provide everything else needed to prepare the meat for judging except turn-in containers. Plan for cuts of pork, chicken or beef.
8. Judging is blind. Trophies awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd for each meat. Trophies awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd for overall. Cash will be paid for first in overall and first in each meat category. Amounts depended on number of participants. If sponsors can be found to cover all expenses, cash will also be paid to second place in all categories.
9. All cook sites must have a fire extinguisher. Any cook team not having a fire extinguisher will not be allowed to fire-up their grill. Trash and coals must be disposed in their respective provided containers. Teams who leave a messy sight will not be asked back to future competitions.
10. Teams that exhibit drunken, bad or disrespectful behavior as deemed by the contest manager will be asked to shut down their grill and leave the competition.
11. It is the hope of the contest manager to find experienced judges. Judges who have judged sanctioned competitions will have preference. Contact us if you have experience and are interested in judging. The judges decisions are final.
12. Pickens on the Prairie BBQ Showdown is a non-sanctioned bbq competition open to anyone with a grill. The decisions of the judges and contest manager are final.
13. In case of high wind (over 25mph not including gusts), the contest will be cancelled and entry fees refunded. Otherwise the contest will be held through all other weather conditions.
14. By entering the competition, all contestants and anyone with them agree to these rules. Contestants and anyone with them also agree to NOT hold Pickens on the Prairie and anyone associated with the event liable for any loss, damage, accident or anything else that doesn't go right.
Register today from the form below.
The fee to participate is $100. No refunds are allowed within 30 days of the competition. The $100 registration fee can be sent to:
PO Box 1308
Aberdeen, SD 57402
If any questions, feel free to use the form below or call Mark Bower at 605-216-1266. Suggestions appreciated.
PICKENS ON THE PRAIRIE
36836 155th Street
Chelsea, SD 57465
DO NOT USE GPS. GPS is not accurate. Watch for signs.
From Aberdeen, drive south on 281. At the end of the 4-lane, turn right (west) on highway 20 towards Northville. Drive several miles past Chelsea, turn left (south) on 368th Ave, drive 1 mile then turn left (east) on 155th Street and drive about another mile.